Saturday, February 7, 2009

I Love Turkey!

I've had a turkey in my freezer since New Year's day, waiting for cooperative weather to cook it on the BBQ. The mercury climbed to 7C this afternoon and the winds were low so it was perfect! With the Butterball stuffed turkey, I was able to cook it directly from the freezer, no need to thaw forever in the fridge, so it was perfect for my situation as I didn't know when the temperature would be mild enough to do my turkey feast!
This time, I followed a friend's advice and cooked it with the breast down so that the juices would flow down on the white meat, to keep it moist and juicy. Indeed, the meat very good! I only turned it for the last hour of cooking, to crisp the skin. My glaze was a mix of homemade plum jam -homemade by Mom with plums from her garden, thank you very much!- and crushed rosemary, simply delicious! I have to say that I was not disappointed by the Butterball stuffing; seasonned to perfection, very tasty and best of all, plenty of it!
Of course the greatest thing about cooking a whole turkey for one, is the leftovers! I'm already looking forward to a week of turkey lunches and soups!

3 comments:

The Caretaker said...

"Joy of Cooking" suggests cooking it breast down for half of cook time and breast up for the other half. However, cooking it breast down the entire time works just as well too.
Turkey on the BBQ, good call.
Regards,
Jeff

Annie said...

Ahh, I saw the "Joy of Cooking" at a used bookstore, now I regret not getting it.
Since I've been living here, I've adapted a lot of my cooking to the BBQ, more out of necessity though: I only have a microwave/convection oven and it will not cook anything more than 13" in diameter.
Now I find that almost everthing taste better on the BBQ!

The Caretaker said...

Turkey on the BBQ is a great way to go. The Joy of Cooking is an excellent all around cook book. I suggest the 1979 edition and the second to last edition, forget when it was published aroun 2000, haven't seen the latest edition. Best of luck with your adventures in cooking on the BBQ.
Regards,
Jeff