Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wood-Fired Oven ~ Cement Block Base

Last week, after modifying my plan a dozen time, I was finally fully satisfied and was ready to start, at last. But I realized that I really didn't know how to put the cement blocks together; I had plenty of witten material on the subject but felt I was missing something. So I placed an add on Kijiji in the Skilled Trade section, asking for someone to come by and graciously spend a couple hours with me to show me how. The first respondant asked me what I was doing and after a few missed calls and emails, came by Friday night. He arrived at the time scheduled and with all his tools! I was glad to impress him with how ready I was with my own set of tools! A very nice man, originally from Haiti, currently out of work from a call centre but obviously well versed in building with cement blocks. We did the first 4 blocks, as I intended, and he was then on his way.
On an unrelated funny note, we're both French speaking, but I couldn't understand a word of what he was saying because his French accent is so different than mine, so we spoke English to each other!


3 comments:

Nikki G said...

Its looking good Annie! I'll have to come back for brick oven pizza!~

ĎāvĕΓħëβЯĂvė said...

I found this: http://mikesenese.com/DOIT/2009/10/how-to-build-a-temporary-wood-fired-brick-pizza-oven-with-cheap-easy-to-find-materials/ Build a temporary wood-fire pizza oven with cheap & easy to find stuff... Nothing to it according to this handsome fellow!

Annie said...

I love the petite-ness of it! and its mobility!! Talk about opportunities for tailgate parties!
But I'm surprised at the little amount of mortar he used to hold all the bricks together, looks to me like it will crumble apart....