Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wood-Fired Oven ~ Hearth Slab



We had precut the 5/8" rebars so that we wouldn't waste any handling time. We positioned them as soon as the heartn insulation was leveled and tied them with a small wire and we are ready to pour the slab!
All around is a 1" piece of wood that will create an air gap necessary for any expansion of the hearth slab during heating. This wood frame also provided the height needed, 3 1/2" thick for the hearth slab.
The slab is made of Lite Kastite refractory concrete supplied by Alphatherm in Toronto. Another alternative would have been to use a mix of Portland and lime but since Jim Wills suggested the Kastite for a stronger slad more resistent to heat cycle, I went with the expert's choice!
If I'm going to go into the trouble and time to build this bread oven, I might as well not skimp too much on the materials. This oven will still be standing much longer after I'm gone!!!
And by the way, this was done on May 26 of this year. My dad visited often this summer allowing us to accomplish a lotvon the built. As I'm writting this post, I'm preparing for his visit this coming week-end; I have great hopes to convince him to visit one more time before the winter and to finish the oven.......

No comments: