Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wood-Fired Oven ~ the beginning!

My project this summer is to build a wood-fired oven. It actually started in the winter time with the thinking process and it has broken ground last month. I first had to remove 2 pine trees that didn't not fit in the future landscape plan. Don't feel too bad; one was already sick and was in worst shape than last year. It was just a question of time.
The local handyman, Randy, is helping me and said the removal only look 15 minutes. When you have the right tools, everything works out faster and better! And he's helping me keeping the costs down by doing my work when he has some spare time, between 2 jobs. So far he's happy with the cold beer I gave him when he was doing landscape work on my neighbour's property, on a hot day!
So here's the photo after the trees were removed and I filled in the ground as best as I could. I think it's ok until I work on the overall landscape plan (maybe in a year or 2...) when I will even out the grounds properly.
I am using many sources for the building: Jim Wills from Mary G Artisan Breads, Alan Scott & Daniel Wing book "The Bread Builders" and Rado Hand with his web site Traditional Ovens. There's also many other sources of inspiration and advice and I will mention them as I go along.

No comments: