Saturday, August 18, 2007


Went to my first Ribfest today! Always thought I was missing something when I couldn't go to the July 1st Ribfest at Centennial park in Toronto. I've seen on The Food Network great shows on Rib and Chili challenges and always wished I was there. Well I was at the Quinte Ribfest today and left somewhat dissapointed. It's often like that when I have anticipation and expectations. I first lined up at the corn and potatoes stand for a roasted yam and with my luck, they ran out of yams less than 10 people ahead of me! Next, I lined up at the shortest line-up for ribs.: Thirsty Cactus. They had 5 ribs & chicken vendors, 1 corn/potatoes booth and 1 fries/blooming onions vendor and the lines were pretty long everywhere; the ambiant smoky smell was tantalizing!!
I ordered a Alabama pulled pork sandwich and a chicken/rib combo for lunch tomorrow. The sandwich was fabulous but when I opened the combo dinner container, I was dissapointed: I assumed it would be 1/2 chicken and 1/3 rack of ribs (because of their prices separately) , but no!!! it was 1/3 of 1/2 chicken (the wing and 1/2 of the breast part~ the leg, thigh and larger part of the breast not in sight...) and just 2 ribs (from the small end) and the tip. Much too expensive for such little pieces. I had to remove the chicken skin coz it was not even crispy. Other than the the BBQ sauce put on it after the cooking, the chicken was not really tasty. I make better chicken in my charcoal smoker and I definetely make baby back ribs as good!
Just come over for my annual BBQ party every year, in late june, to have a taste! 2007 was the 6th edition and well attended (49 plus the cook (me!) and 2 dogs and 1 cat!) by hungry guests! Looking forward to the 2008 one!!

3 comments:

ĎāvĕΓħëβЯĂvė said...

mmmmmm... BBQ...

Annie said...

This year, I had 2 grills going at the same time PLUS the charcoal smoker filled with yummy chicken!!

Annie said...

That was at my own backyard BBQ party!