Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Wear Your Seatbelt

Always. If I didn’t have that good habit, I couldn’t write tonight. Early evening, the road conditions turned treacherous quickly and I didn’t not realize. I lost control of my truck on an ice patch and, after rotating 180 degrees in the other line, my truck slid, flipped and finally stopped in the ditch, on its roof.
And for those of you wondering, speed was not a factor, only road condition. It took less than a minute after my truck immobilized for Greg to get to me while Steve, who was following me on Highway 2, called 911. Greg was just great; he introduced himself right away and they both kept talking to me till the EMS arrived. There was also a nice young female who stood by and gathered some of my stuff that spilled out of the truck by the broken window. I’m grateful for their help & company. It took 10 minutes for the firemen to get to the site and just a couple minutes for them to assess my condition, secure the truck and release me from the seat belt. I had been “hanging” upside down, hold up to the seat by the seat belt, unable to detach it. Once the fireman cut the belt, I was able to crawl out of the car, with their help pulling me out, and I walked out unscratched. Without the seatbelt, I would have been thrown all over and would have been seriously injured for sure.
Use it; it is not an optional accessory.

4 comments:

ĎāvĕΓħëβЯĂvė said...

You were lucky! Just think if you had hit something else - a car, a bridge, a cliff... yow!

Now, on to more important things, how to get to work, and what to replace your beloved truck?

Annie said...

Yes I know: somebody was obviously working overtime last nite to fix the cards and make sure no cars hit me and to make me miss by less than 10 feet a double post. If I had not rolled over in the ditch, I would have ended up on the train tracks. My beloved truck will not be easy to replace; we were a good match.

Here in Kanada, we get the dogs harnessed to the sled and we mush-mush to work!!!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with your car insurance company. I hope that all will turn out for the best.

Mamé must have been working overtime!

Rachel

Annie said...

I'm already heartbroken about loosing the Pathfinder; I'm sure I'm up for dissapointment when the insurance company proposes to settle. Sucks.