Sunday, October 7, 2007

Thanksgiving Turkey


This year, I decided to try to roast the turkey on the spit. It was a first for me and I certainly learned a few things. I learned that I have to learn to truss a bird, I should be using a butter-basted turkey, I should collect the drippings to add to the gravy and I should check the cooking carefully not to overcook it!
It seems that everything I do on the rotisserie cooks quicker than by traditional methods. Although it looked beautiful and the dark meat was very tender and juicy, the white meat was a bit in the dry side. The gravy was not as good as usual as I didn't have cooking drippings to use. Oh, and you can't make Yorkshire puddings without egg, they stay flat instead of puffing up.
Next time will be a better success!
In case anybody is wondering why I would cook a whole 10-lbs turkey for my self, the reason is very simple: no restaurant can offer a turkey dinner as good as home-cooked and best of all, it provides bones for a soup to come and lots of lunches!!

I made fingerling potatoes to accompany the turkey and chestnut stuffing. When I saw the fingelings at the grocery store, I had to get them: they're exactly like the ones served at Le Splendid in Lyon and just the sight of them brought back delectable memories! I dedicate these ones to Conal, who was generous enough to share his with me at dinner. Breaking bread with Irish people, I learned that they sure do love their spuds and I know how it must have been difficult for him to see me eat most of them!

7 comments:

ĎāvĕΓħëβЯĂvė said...

Your turkey sounds good to me. Was the egg-less pudding an accident or an experiment?

You ate most of an Irishman's potatoes? You didn't drink all his beer or whiskey too did you? Brave lady. :)

We had turkey sandwiches for lunch and tequila-lime chicken on the grill for Canadian Thanksgiving...

here in Michigan. :)

Annie said...

Egg-less pudding was a hopefull experiment: I really wanted some coz I love them with gravy but I didn't have any eggs so I hoped for the best but...didn't work out. The taste was goog thought, just a bit dense.

Irishman's potatoes: Can you believe that I was naive and didn't know at the time?!? But I learned fast and I made sure to refill his wine glass frequently! I fear however that next time, he will not sit beside me, and I can't blame him, I wouldn't take the chance either!!

Glad to see you're "celebrating" our Thanksgiving too! Too bad you got to work today though...

Tell me more about the Tequila-Lime Chicken!

ĎāvĕΓħëβЯĂvė said...

Not much to it, really - the marinade is from a grocery-store bottle (no real tequila, darn!) Let the boneless chicken soak in it for at least 30 minutes, then grill. Tasty enough for the kids, and EASY.

ĎāvĕΓħëβЯĂvė said...

It's the Kroger branded version of this:
http://www.lawrys.com/main/product.aspx?ProductId=113

ĎāvĕΓħëβЯĂvė said...

WAIT! Look at the ingredients on the Lawry's page... the sixth ingredient is TEQUILA! woo hoo!

ĎāvĕΓħëβЯĂvė said...

Did you show Olive this entry so she knows that turkey can be cooked on a grill? Does she know about deep-fried turkey?

Annie said...

Yes, we tried to fill her in about all the crazy ways we eat turkey on this side of the pond!!!