Sunday, January 27, 2008

New Beginnings

I decided that this week-end would be the turning point. I’ve been in a rut for long enough. Not too sure what is behind that, but could be loneliness, wearyness, unsatisfactory work life, never enough of things such as company, help, money, time, outings… Most probably a combination of many things. But nonetheless, my life sucks and it’s time I do something.
First problem is actually with me. I’m too fat and I don’t like it. Never did but always lacked the discipline to change it. I’ll give it another shot now and maybe other things, that aren’t too great in my life, will turn around if I take care of that problem first.
So I went grocery shopping yesterday and here’s my plan: I’ll make a salad everyday for lunch, and/or dinner. And I mean an interesting salad. I get bored easily with food; it’s got to be exciting and varied. Bonny, my lunch buddy at work, makes great salad and I enjoy them a lot! Is it because they’re prepared by somebody else or is it because she puts in her salads toppings that I never have on hand?? In the past my salad are always the same, because if I buy an ingredient or another, I have to make consecutive salads to use it all up before the best before date. So I get bored with the salad thing. I won’t worry about that too much, cause this time, I’ll make a lot lo salads! I also made a spreadsheet listing all kind of components that would make my salads interesting. I can use that as a reference chart and compose new salads just by mixing stuff on my list.
So in my fridge right now are 3 lettuce choices: romaine, spinach and spring mix, all pre-washed and ready to use. Very important cause I don’t want this to become too much work. Their large containers were on sale and that should last me for the entire week. Then I have some choices in terms of meats/proteins to give it the filling effect. First some rotisserie chicken leftover (most probably for a chicken ceasar salad for Tuesday) and some roast beef that will be for my Outback-inspired skeakhouse blue cheese chopped salad for tomorrow’s lunch. Today for lunch I’ll have sweet & sour greens and beans, and will have some peas and beans left-over for another day. I also have a few veggies and fruits to make the week interesting and a variety of chesses: Asiago, old cheddar, swiss, grated parmesan and grated romano. Two different flavors of croutons and a good selection of dressings. I’m good to go and have no excuses not to have a successful week! Oh and I started the day by juicing a carrot and an apple and made some buckwheat waffles that I ate without butter and maple syrup. That’s a small victory for me. I plan to have a juice every morning and that should help me get my 5-10 servings of fruits/vegetables daily as recommended by the Canadian Food Guide!
I hope you'll share your own salad ideas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what I started doing after finding out about my diabetes. I still eat a salad for at least one a day, usually AS one of my meals a day. Instead of meat (did I really say that?) try nuts on your salad... Higher qty of protein anyhow. Make sure you get the Dry Roasted ones, as the others have too much added fat. I find Sunflower seeds are good with salads... So are almonds and cashews...
Dheese? Get STRONG flavoured cheeses (no mozza or provolone - instead go with Feta or Bleu or some of the others), you don't need as much for the same impact.
I also like apples diced into a salad - they go will with a vinagrette style dressing. And watch the fat in your dressings - creamy dressings have a lot more than vinegrettes...
Good Luck

Anonymous said...

not Dheese but Cheese...

Annie said...

Thank you Jamie. I also have to incorporate more fish in my diet: I bought some frozen Pollock and I'll try broiling them "a la Britannia". Actually, I can't broil them , won't work in my oven so I'll try pan fried them in my new non-stick pan.